Current Job Openings
SEND ALL RESUMES AND COVER LETTER TO CAREERS@HOLBORN.COM FOR CONSIDERATION.
PLEASE NO RECRUITERS OR AGENCIES.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Analytical Services
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: SVP & Head of Analytics
The AVP & Actuarial Associate will work as a member of Holborn’s analytics team, with a specific focus toward actuarial assignments, including review of client experience and exposure, economic capital modeling and rating agency analysis. The overall team is comprised of about a dozen technicians including actuaries, catastrophe modelers and solution developers. The individual in this role will be exposed to various areas of re-/insurance and will support the broking team in structuring and optimizing reinsurance programs in accordance with individual clients’ risk appetites.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reinsurance pricing/structuring, with an eye towards developing and communicating client solutions. We use specialized, proprietary tools that enable us to identify trends and loss drivers that might not be obvious on the surface. Our analyses are often presented directly to clients as a means to collaboratively understand risk and solve business issues.
- Tool development and maintenance, to further advance our suite of proprietary models. Many of our tools are Excel-based and are flexible enough to handle a wide range of situations, but there is also a need to develop custom ad hoc solutions for particular clients. Larger datasets are managed using SQL.
- Presenting/communicating, both internally and with clients. There is occasional travel, initially 2-3 times per year, potentially more over time.
- Problem solving, especially to manipulate data into standard format and to test the reasonability and applicability of output.
At a minimum, candidates must have 5 years of relevant actuarial experience, an Associate level designation in an internationally recognized actuarial society and must be determined to master the responsibilities described above in time. Equally as important, candidates must demonstrate a solid work ethic with the expectation that they will be able to handle multiple assignments concurrently, sometimes as part of a team and at other times as a self-starter.
The actuary may be required to train/assist non-actuarial colleagues, and to develop external client relationships along with the broking team.
Candidates should have a knowledge of broad market dynamics (market cycle, industry trends).
We seek people who like to be known as “problem-solvers”, who have demonstrated achievements above the level of their peers. The actuarial role has high visibility at Holborn, and the responsibilities are often intellectually challenging since this is where Holborn crafts individual solutions for clients.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This job description reflects general details necessary to describe the job’s essential functions and the job’s level of knowledge and skill typically required. The job description should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Finance, Economics, or equivalent.
- Associate level actuarial designation (e.g., ACAS) or higher.
- 5 years of insurance industry experience, familiarity with reinsurance preferred.
- Expertise in Excel and proficiency in database management software such as SQL.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Ability to perform queries and manipulate data.
- Excellent analytical skills with a strong understanding of probability and statistics.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess excellent organizational skills.
- Must have the flexibility to adapt to changes in priorities and assignments.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information and issues.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a team player.